Wednesday 11 August 2010

unitled [2007]
























This is really a set of drawings rather than a project. The drawings are set on the kitchen table of the house I was living in at the time and so this can be seen as a precurser to the later toast rack project. The drawings are for everyday kitchen items although I still remain undeclared about what exactly each one is. The project was much more about drawing itself and as such a continuation of my earlier, and also rather ambiguous, MArch project.

I was developing an attitude to the resolution of form in a drawing where this was contingent (i.e. where it could equally well be resolved in various different ways). My intention was to try to retain this contingency within the final appearance of the object - to make it look like it could have equally been different. My method was to sketch many different possible versions of the same thing over the top of each other and to then choose between these, mixing and matching together from different versions, at the last possible moment with the use of layers of hatching. I find this set of drawings interesting because in their unresolved state they display this process.

drawings: http://picasaweb.google.com/bensweeting/Untitled2007#